WHRO Public Media
Long known for its public service mission, WHRO is the only public broadcasting station in the United States that is owned by a collaboration of 21 local public school districts. Through WHRO TV, WHRO FM, WHRV FM, its digital platforms, and educational content delivered online to more than 286,000 students and 25,000 teachers, WHRO enriches the lives of the people of Eastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina every day. WHRO has been committed to excellence in public media. Today, WHRO's consumer base resides throughout Eastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina.
Play Your Heart Out Third Annual Music Showcase is looking for emerging solo artists or duets performing original music.
- You must be a solo musician or a duet.
- Your music must be your original work.
- All music must be able to be performed live using acoustic or electric instruments (no soundtracks).
- You may have recorded it previously or played it publically. It may not be a new interpretation of previously recorded music by another artist.
- As the music will be performed in a facility that is open to the public, all music and lyrics submitted for consideration must be suitable for general audiences, including young children.
- Applications will be reviewed and musicians will be selected by a team of WHRO staff and members of the Emerging Leaders Board. All decisions are final.
- Please submit two videos of you playing your original music (not covers).
- By completing and submitting an application, you agree to the above guidelines and are available June 27, 2024.
What is not accepted.
- Pre-recorded soundtracks
- Musicians with wide regional recognition and following
- If you work with a record label that distributes your music
- If you've opened for nationally known musicians
- If your music is played on any local major radio station
Thank you for your interest in collaborating with WHRO.
WHRO is proud to showcase many hours of independently
produced content across our multiple platforms, including WHRO TV, WHRO World,
WHRO Create, WHRV 89.5 FM and WHRO 90.3 FM, AltRadio, WFOS and WHRO.org.
We are excited to work with innovative independent producers and filmmakers
from our region and across Virginia.
Below you will find our online application, including a
place to post your work sample and our submission release form. The information
you provide will help us review your program or proposal.
WHRO receives many more submissions and proposals than we
could possibly use across our platforms. However, best efforts will be made to
respond to all inquiries within six weeks of the submission date.
Please note that WHRO does not currently have dedicated
funding for the production of independent projects, or the staff capacity to
help you raise funds. Resources WHRO can offer include:
in-kind production and post-production services
letters of support
broadcast or streaming on our platforms
We are most interested in content that is directly related
to our mission of educating, enlightening and inspiring our members, listeners
, and viewers across the state. Topics and areas of interest include:
local and state history
sea level rise
diversity and race
Topics or types of programming we are not interested in
commercial or promotional programs
Independent productions may be presented as series, stand-
alone programs, or folded into some of our current productions, like Curate, or Another View. WHRO is also seeking digital content for whro.org and our other digital platforms.
We look forward to reviewing your materials.